Monday, March 31, 2008

sketches, oh sketches


Back flipping Mermaid-
I'm on a fish kick...or maybe it's a zero gravity kick...I really don't know.

I don't even know if you can really tell that this is a back flipping mermaid or not. I'm going to paint it in photoshop so that should help it out a bit.





See what I'm saying about being on a fish kick?

This was the second drawing I did last week that had fins in it. The mermaid was the 3rd.

I think this all spawned from seeing a friends' cell phone charm. She has a Koi fish made of metal or something that she had with her when we went to Houston and I just kept thinking how pretty Koi are, and how much I haven't thought of them as a subject for a drawing because I'm completely oblivious.

Sorry Mr. D- I've done you wrong. BE OBSERVANT he always said. And he wasn't kidding. I need to be more observant. These fish are out of my head, I didn't look at anything to draw them...so...well, they all remind me of the 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons.

And here's the first one that started it all.
I started a sketchbook journal. I actually found the one that I started back in 2005, and just started drawing where I left off. I guess in 2005 I had made a New Years Resolution to draw everyday. I drew 2 days in a row...then didn't draw for 4 days, then drew one day...then I didn't have anything. It's great to see that I failed. I'm not holding myself to everyday.

As long as I draw, when I feel the need, then I don't see it as failing. I usually draw when I feel the need to write something. So it happened like everyday last week. I didn't post them all, because some of them were just in blue pencil and my scanner didn't pick it up. So you get the ones that at least have an outline.

I do intend to paint all of these in Photoshop...or perhaps I'll do larger versions on canvas and paint in acrylic. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: