Saturday, August 20, 2011

"Molly Rolling in the Grass"

I was leery of drawing this at first, afraid that it would look too flat. I had planned to save this for the last in the "Molly series", but decided to go ahead and tackle my fear head on and just start over if I didn't like it.
I lightened up some of the darker shaded areas from the original photograph- thinking that it might make the drawing look less flat, and I think that was accomplished- at least to my eyes it looks that way. What do you think? Does she look like she's rolling in grass? Or does it just look like she's flat? To me she looks like she's taking a nap...but I can see the depth- can you?

On a side note, I was let go from my full time job yesterday :(, they are downsizing and trying to reduce costs where they can. I completely understand, and there's no hard feelings at all, I'm just bummed because I won't get to see my awesome co-workers everyday, or get drawing requests as they walk by my desk. I think at the moment it all just feels surreal to me. Like thinking about Monday. Do I set an alarm? I need to find a job ASAP, but if I set my alarm to get up early and begin my search, I'm afraid that I'll get up and just start my Monday routine like I've done almost every Monday for the last 3 1/2 years. I don't want to be 1/2 way to my old job and realize "holy crap I don't work there anymore!", but at the same time I'm like "uh...wait a minute, can I really not set an alarm? I mean...is it really ok to go ahead and sleep in?"...It's weird...I haven't been in a position like this in 5 years...being unemployed is awkward for me.
It's bitter sweet too though. I really enjoyed working there, but I can say without a doubt, I will not miss answering the phones. I really hope my next position in life, will not be at the front desk...purely for the fact that I think I'm ready for a bigger challenge...even if that means I can't draw during working hours :P

1 comment:

Funky Finds said...

So sorry to hear about your job! Good luck in the job search. Love the pup drawings, as always!