Thursday, June 11, 2015

New Art

While attempting to learn my surroundings, I came upon an art store in Glendale, CA. It's called Swain's. Hopefully the locals will forgive me if this is a place that is common knowledge. I'm used to the typical Hobby Lobby's, Michael's, Joann's and even the Dick Blick's of the area. So to find a new place that I can shuffle through isles at, was exciting.

Since I've been having a bit of an artists-block recently I treated myself to a new sketchbook. A new Strathmore 5.5 x 8.5 in sketchbook with Toned Gray pages. Hopefully I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Since I went with toned gray pages, I also picked up a set of Woodless Colour Pencils (note the spelling of color...these are manufactured in Czech Republic). Yes I do own a ton of Prisma Color Colored Pencils, however I have developed an allergy to them...not sure if it's the wood or the lead itself, so I tried these. No allergic reaction.
While my creativity is trying to come to the surface I decided to do a zentangle to loosen up. It didn't look right in black and white so I took out the new colored pencils to see what would happen.
Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

I've still got a realistic pencil portrait drawing to work on; I want to work on my digital painting skills some more and I've got plenty of knitting items to work on (I'll probably post progress on my friend Jess's fully blocked Cowl/Shawlette soon).

We're still attempting to locate a different living situation as this apartment has worn through my last nerve, so I'm sure there will be a bit of non-activity here soon...once we get something and start moving. Until then, though, I hope to get off my lazy butt and post more.

No comments: